Throughout Europe most households are used to having alufoil in the home.It has become an essential part of modern household convenience – for cooking,reducing cleaning chores in the kitchen and for its many uses around the home, gardenor workshop. In commercial kitchens too – restaurants, canteens, schools andhospitals – foil is a tool with manyfunctions.
Alufoil’s total barrier to light, steam, aromas and liquids is a majorreason for its use in the kitchen.
The same properties can be used to stop evaporation and drying of paint,adhesives and fillers used in home decoration.
Also it can deal with the highest temperatures encountered in cooking,whether in a convection oven or under the hottest grill. Another greatadvantage when used in the kitchen is the ‘deadfold’ characteristic ofaluminium foil. Once folded around a joint of meat, or crimped onto the top ofa casserole or storage pot, the alufoil stays folded and does not spring back.
More detailed information about the LCA can be found here.
- to reduce burn andshrinkage when roasting poultry and meat
- cooking delicatefish and vegetables ‘en papillote’
- lidding storagepots (not steel cans)
- protecting partsof poultry from microwave* ‘burn’
- making smallstorage containers for the refrigerator
- wrapping for thefreezer
- covering saucepansto retain steam
- baking ‘jacket’potatoes
- lining cake tins,‘lift-out’ strips
- wrappingsandwiches and snacks
- keeping food and‘left-overs’ in the refrigerator – cakes, meat, fruit
- saving cleaning –lining a grill or the oven floor
Household foil is available in a variety of formats. In addition to a rangeof widths and lengths there are textured versions and ready-cut sheets, makingit easy to use without unreeling and tearing. ‘Non-stick’ foil can solve manyproblems, such as baked-on food. Another special foil is black on one side,which transfers radiant heat more efficiently from the black side, making itideal for roasting.
- used to preventpaintbrushes and other decorating materials from drying out
- making temporarytrays for roller painting
- drip trays tocatch oil from garden machinery, cars, etc.
- making reflectorboards for amateur photography
- temporaryreflectors for lamps and candles
- lining bases offlower pots
- protecting shelvesand adding reflected light in the greenhouse
- lining cupboardswhere foodstuffs are stored
- making decorations
- lining barbeques
*Microwave oven uses: As microwave energy cannot pass through metal,alufoil is very useful for protecting some parts of food from being dried orover-cooked in a microwave oven. To avoid the possibility of arcing, any foilused in this way should not touch metal shelves or the inner metal lining ofthe oven during cooking.